- Always use bicycle parking (Bici Parqueo) facilities attended by official parking attendants (with a badge to indicate their position). They will require that you use a lock in their facilities. CicloCuba has a limited number of locks available for rental for $1 CUC/day.
- In Cuba prevailing winds are easterly, so it would obviously be better to plan to begin riding from East to West
- Some thoroughfares in Havana are restricted for transit for bicycles. Most streets where bicycle riding is prohibited are indicated with a round white sign with a red border and a black bicycle in the middle.
- Riding a bicycle through the tunnel to Miramar, or to Eastern Havana is not permitted.
- If interested in heading east, cyclists can ride around the bay, of alternatively there is:
- a boat which crosses the bay (in front of the Russian Orthodox Church) and bicycles can cross either to Regla or Casablanca. Note that it is prohibited to bear liquids or sharp devices on this crossing.
- a bike bus which boards passengers close to the tunnel entrance by Café Lucero. On the return, the boarding point is in Habana del Este opposite the Naval Hospital.
For multi-day independent touring, CicloCuba suggests bringing a basic multitool (with minimum of chain tool, tire levers, 8-9-10 box wrench, 2/2.5/3/4/5/6 Hex or Allen keys, spoke wrenches, phillips & flat head screwdrivers), minipump with Presta/Schraeder fittings (if your pump is Schraeder only, a Presta adaptor is suggested), universal water bottle, and spare tubes are also a good idea. Spare hybrid tubes, size 700 X 28-35 (Presta valves) are highly recommended for touring.
Bicycle Outfitting Info. Bicycle rentals.
CicloCuba’s bicycles are equipped with rear platform carrier & water bottle cage. Platform pedals or toe clips/straps included. For those who ride clipless, bring your own shoes/pedals for local installation. While helmet use is not mandatory in Cuba, CicloCuba suggests bringing a helmet for use while riding. For those who prefer not to break in their sit bones while traveling, CicloCuba is happy to temporarily install clients personal saddles on CicloCuba equipment.